Sunday, March 19, 2023

Pub on the Corner


 8 x 8 inches - oil on hardboard - I try not to be afraid of the dark but it changes things. 

Here are some of my typical materials. I tend to use smooth boards on small paintings (8 inches or less), 8 x 10 and 9 x 12 tend to be the finer weave linen panels, the larger paintings I tend to use canvas panels, and the very large on stretched canvas. I went through a phase of walnut oil and I still use Graham's walnut medium but lately I have been using linseed based oils. For brushes, I have found that the long flats in synthetic bristles work for me but I also use a small soft round for some things. I have found that keeping my brushes in a small plastic bag with a little safflower oil keeps them from drying out and protected. Any paint left in the bristles stays soft and I can easily wipe off the oil for the next adventure.

This might be the my post for several weeks while I am traveling.  I have a series of wildlife portraits completed which I will share when I get back.



No comments:

Post a Comment